How to Calculate Interest Rate on a Car Loan
If you’re taking out a loan for a new vehicle for the first time or need a refresher, you should be prepared to handle the interest rate that comes along with it. That’s why Weir Canyon Acura is here to help you learn how to calculate interest rate on a car so you can get your finances in order faster, organize your payments, and get behind the wheel of your new car faster. Learn more with the help of our automotive finance professionals today!
What Is an Interest Rate?
%Costa Mesa and Tustin drivers taking out a car loan for the first time may be wondering, what is an interest rate? If you buy a car on credit, the dealer essentially owns the car until it’s paid off, so you’re basically paying a fee to the dealer for borrowing the money. The interest you pay is determined by several factors, which include:
- Principal Amount: This is the total amount you wish to borrow with your auto loan.
- Loan Term: The loan term is the set amount of time you’ll have to repay your loan. Generally speaking, short-term loans have higher monthly payment amounts with less interest paid in the end, while long-term loans have smaller monthly payment amounts with higher interest paid in the end.
- Repayment Schedule: Most auto loan payments are made on a monthly basis, but you could save money in the long-run if you’re able to make payments more frequently. Thanks to compounding, you pay less interest when you make more payments.
- Repayment Amount: A portion of every payment you make goes to interest and another portion goes to repaying your total principal amount.
How to Figure Interest on a Car Loan for First Payment
When it comes to knowing how to figure interest on car loan for the first time, you have to take into account that this initial payment will be slightly different from subsequent payments. This can be done easily using the following steps:
- Divide your interest rate by the number of monthly payments you will be making in this year.
- Multiply it by the balance of your loan – for the first payment, this will be your total principal amount.
How to Calculate Auto Loan Interest Moving Forward
Once the first payment has passed, you’ll have to recalculate your auto loan interest moving forward. While this may not be an exact calculation, following the steps below can serve as a reliable basis for you to plan for the months ahead:
- Subtract the interest you just calculated from the payment you just made. This will leave you with the amount that you have paid off the loan principal.
- Deduct this total from your original principal to get your new loan balance.
Find More Finance Help with the Experts at Weir Canyon Acura
After learning how to calculate auto loan interest, you can take advantage of even more car buying tips at Weir Canyon Acura such as good mileage for a used car, how to trade in a financed car or buying vs. leasing. And, our finance team is always on hand to walk you through all of your options, answer any questions, and show off our inventory to help you find a vehicle that matches your budget and your needs. Contact us today to learn more and to schedule a visit to our dealership near Montclair!
More from Weir Canyon Acura
Anaheim drivers want the best, but what makes up a truly luxurious SUV? From spacious interiors to comfortable seating and advanced technology the new Acura RDX interior has it all. Swing by Weir Canyon Acura to see the outstanding RDX interior features for yourself and take your Costa Mesa and Tustin commute up a notch. Acura RDX Passenger…
The Acura RDX is a great option if you’re looking for a fully loaded luxury SUV to enhance your Costa Mesa and Tustin commute. You’ll also have your choice of several packages or trim levels to meet your needs, one of which is the 2020 Acura RDX Advance Package. This Acura SUV is at the top…
If you’re looking for a luxury sedan that’s spacious inside and out, the new 2020 Acura ILX dimensions are sure to impress. Behind the wheel of the ILX you’ll have plenty of passenger and cargo space to store your belongings, along with a carefully designed exterior that makes parking a breeze. Learn more about the…