What Is Good Mileage for a Used Car?
Mileage may be one of the first stats you look at when you’re shopping for a used car, but what is good mileage for a used car? In past decades, a car with over 100,000 miles may have been considered too old — but with manufacturing continually quality increasing, many vehicles in the 100,000+ range still have plenty of life left. In addition, many other factors can affect a used car’s quality. Used cars are sold a wide range of quality levels, from late-year certified pre-owned vehicles to older models priced under 12k. Read on to find out more on good mileage for used cars at Weir Canyon Acura.
How to Interpret Used Car Mileage
Although the number of miles is crucial when asking what is good mileage on a used car, you’ll need to consider other factors to build a complete picture of a used car’s condition:
- Driving history — Did this car drive its 50,000 miles on smooth Costa Mesa highway traffic, or did it spend more time in relentless stop-and-go-traffic in downtown Tustin? Find out what you can about the previous owner’s regular driving habits. Excessive stop-and-go driving can put extra strain on a vehicle’s transmission.
- Location — dry, warm climates cause less wear and tear to cars than cold, wet climates. Consider your car’s location before you buy. Whether the car was most often parked on the street or a parking garage is another factor to consider.
- Condition — A certified technician can tell you the true condition of the vehicle, no matter how good it looks on paper. Professionals at the Weir Canyon Acura Service Center can catch what you might miss.
- Maintenance — Check your vehicle’s maintenance history to make sure the previous owner was up-to-date with routine maintenance, and that any damage was repaired in a timely manner.
Used Car Mileage vs. Age: What’s the Difference?
While it might seem like a good idea to choose the vehicle with the lowest mileage, that’s actually not always your best option. You should also factor in the following when looking at good mileage for used cars below:
- An older vehicle with very low mileage might look like a great deal, but it may have sat in a garage for years without being driven. Cars need to be driven regularly to prevent drivetrain and seal issues.
- A car with a spotless maintenance record and 80,000 miles should get priority over one with 55,000 miles that haven’t had an oil change in years. Good maintenance history says a lot more about a car’s current state than the number of miles alone!
- The lowest-mileage used vehicles sometimes come at a premium price, so you may be better off casting a wider net in your used vehicle search, or going with a new vehicle special lease deal.
Check Out Your Used Vehicle Options at Weir Canyon Acura
If you’ve found your favorites in our used vehicle inventory, stop by our showroom in Anaheim to see them in person. If you still have questions about what is good mileage for a used car, or want to know how to trade in a financed car or how to calculate your interest rate on a loan, our team is happy to answer your car-buying questions, value your trade-in — and set you up with a test drive today of our used or certified pre-owned Acura inventory. Contact us today for more details on how to find good mileage for used car and stop by our dealership in Anaheim!