There’s nothing worse than climbing in your car in the morning and realizing that it won’t start. Why does it always seem to happen at the worst possible times? If you left your headlights on overnight, or something else drained the battery, you probably need to jump-start your car battery. Weir Canyon Acura can help. We have a well-stocked parts department that will get you the right battery at an affordable price. We’ll get you back on Anaheim roads in no time. In the meantime, this is how to jump start a car.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
If you live in Costa Mesa and wonder how to properly jump start a car, read on. Perhaps you don’t feel like waiting for roadside assistance or a jump start car service. Then, you’ll need to jump start your car battery on your own. First, locate a set of jumper cables and someone that is willing to “give you a jump” with their vehicle. This is the proper way to jump start a car:
- Request the other driver to park their car so that it’s facing your vehicle and positioned hood to hood. Ask them to turn their car off.
- Set the parking brakes on both of your vehicles as an extra safety precaution.
- Open both hoods and find your batteries. Remember, the batteries may be hidden. If you have trouble finding them, check your owner’s manual.
- Locate the positive and negative terminals on your batteries. One will be marked as positive with a (+) and the other marked negative as negative with (-).
- Make sure both the positive and negative terminals are clean and corrosion-free. If they aren’t clean, take a few moments to clean them.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on your dead battery.
- Hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the other car.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the working battery.
- Connect the last black clamp to an unpainted metal area on your vehicle’s frame.
- Once all clamps are secure, start the engine of the car with the working battery first.
- Wait a few moments, giving your battery time to charge, and then try to start your car.
- Once your vehicle starts, remove the jumper cables carefully in the reverse order.
- Leave your engine running for at least 15 minutes to give your battery time to fully charge before heading back out onto %%target_city_2% roads.
What to Do if Your Car Won’t Jump Start
Now that you know how to jump start a car, what do you do if your car won’t jump start? Unfortunately, It probably means that you need to replace your car battery. It could also be a sign of a more serious problem. Follow these steps to get a better idea of what the problem could be:
- If when you try to start your car and you only hear a clicking, it might be a problem with the car’s starter. Call the service department at Weir Canyon Acura to schedule service.
- If the other electrical parts of the car are working, but your engine still won’t turn over, it could be a defective ignition switch or maybe a blown fuse.
- Make sure you keep your auto running long enough after you jump start it to get a full charge.
Weir Canyon Acura is Available for All of Your Automotive Needs
The friendly service team at Weir Canyon Acura is always available to help. We love to answer other questions like how to install a car battery and assist our Montclair customers. From part to full service, or helping you find a new or certified pre-owned Acura, Weir Canyon Acura is here for you. Contact us today!