How to Install a Car Battery
Even though many Acura drivers search for “car battery installation near me,” you can perform a car battery installation yourself with a few simple steps and the right safety precautions. Before starting, make sure you have your new battery and all the necessary supplies on hand.
Car Battery Installation: Tools and Supplies
- Wire Brush
- Anti-Corrosion Spray
- Thick Rubber Gloves
- Battery Cleaning Solution
Keep in mind that moving the battery requires care to avoid spilling battery acid. Not sure where to find necessary parts or tools? You’ll find a wide variety of auto maintenance supplies and tools at our parts center near Costa Mesa. Below, we’ll go over the steps of how to install a car battery in detail.
How to Install a Car Battery: Step-by-Step
After you’ve removed your car battery to replace it or check for damage, you’ll need to take the correct steps for how to install a new battery safely:
- With the engine turned off and the parking brake on, open the hood and find the battery. Using a wrench, loosen the nut that connects the black (negative) cable from the battery. Battery wrenches or pliers made for this purpose make the job easier, and are available at our parts center.
- With the nut loosened, twist and pull off the cable.
- Take the same steps as above to remove the red battery cable from the positive terminal.
- The battery hold-down clamp keeps the battery from moving around in the engine.
- Loosen and remove it to free up the battery.
- Remove the battery with both hands, keeping in mind that batteries can weigh up to 40 pounds.
- Check for corrosion in the battery tray or hold-down clamp and clean the clamp and connectors using a wire brush.
- Now install the new battery: carefully place it in the battery tray and tighten the hold-down clamp.
- Spray anti-corrosion solution on the positive and negative battery terminals before connecting to prevent corrosion and extend battery life.
- To reattach the cables to the battery, first connect the red cable, and then the black.
- Check the connections and make sure the battery is secure.
- Try starting your car
If you’d rather a professional take care of your Acura battery installation, don’t search “car battery installation near me!” Just reach out to our Acura maintenance experts at Weir Canyon Acura.
Where Can I Find Car Battery Installation Near Me?
Certified Acura technicians and Weir Canyon Acura are happy to tell you how to install a car battery properly at home. For more car-care and auto parts tips, plus great deals on routine auto services for drivers in Tustin and Montclair, contact the Weir Canyon Acura service center today!