How to Repair Car Dents and Scratches
It can be extremely frustrating to find a new dent or scratch on your vehicle, luckily, the experts at Weir Canyon Acura can help you fix this yourself without spending hundreds or even thousands. If you don’t want to fix your vehicle yourself, you can always bring it to one of our certified service centers. Let’s go over a few different types of scratches and the easy ways you can fix them yourself.
Fixing Scratches By Yourself
If you have a small scratch on your vehicle, and think you may be able to fix it yourself instead of taking it to a body shop, there are a few DIY methods that could easily remove scratches:
- Candle Wax – Although this is a temporary fix, candle wax can fill scratches. You just need to rub the wax over the affected area. It is also worth noting that the spot must be cleaner prior to applying the wax.
- Super Glue -Similar to the candle wax method, super glue can blend scratches and make light defects unnoticeable. However, this is only a temporary fix.
- Paint Polish or Rubbing Compound – When doing a paint correction, it is important to always go least aggressive first by using a light polish and a finishing pad. If you need a more abrasive combination to correct the finish, you can always go with a more abrasive compound and foam or microfiber pad. If neither of these combinations work, you could try wet sanding which will remove deeper scratches and imperfections from your vehicle’s paint.
- Wet Sandpaper – For extra stubborn surface scratches, you can use 2000-grit wet sandpaper to reduce the visibility of the scratch. When you cannot see the scratch anymore, introduce a rubbing compound and a foam pad. Then, finish with a finer polish until it begins to shine. You can then protect your work with a wax or paint sealant. You should always make sure you thoroughly clean the car prior to paint correction and protecting.
- Touch-Up Paint: To mask deeper scratches, you can get some touch up paint from our dealership service center.
DIY Dent Repairs
When there’s a dent on your vehicle, it’s all you can see whenever you look at it. Luckily, there are a few remedies that you can try right in your Costa Mesa driveway:
- Plunger – A plunger is a great tool to remove dents from your vehicle. It’s quite easy and only takes a few tries to level out a stubborn dent.
- Hammer or Mallet – Using a hammer or a mallet to strike the other side of the dent is a common way to remove dents. The hammer is great for tiny dents, where the mallet should only be used for larger ones. It is important to wrap the hammer or mallet with a soft towel to prevent any type of additional damage to the vehicle.
- Dent Puller – This is a more advanced method, and should only be used if you are skilled at body work. For this step, you must drill a hole through the dent, pull a wire through, and carefully pull the dent out. Afterwards, you have to fill the hold, sand, and paint.
Visit Weir Canyon Acura for All Your Repair Needs!
If the damage is too large and the above methods are not effective, come visit us at Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim today! Our service center near Tustin and Montclair can professionally fix your dents and get you back on the road fast. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us anytime!
More from Weir Canyon Acura
The new 2021 TLX lineup offers plenty of exceptional packages to enhance your Costa Mesa travels at a price that fits perfectly with your budget. But you can enjoy even more distinct capabilities in the 2021 Acura TLX Type S. Featuring some of the same specs as the brand’s renowned Acura NSX supercar, along with…
The available 2022 Acura MDX packages offer many ways for you to enjoy a luxury drive through Costa Mesa. You can experience the best this lineup can offer with the upcoming new Acura MDX Type S package. With improved performance capabilities as well as its own distinct interior and exterior features, this is one Acura…
If you’re shopping the Costa Mesa-area for a sleek sedan that can add new capabilities to your daily drive, then you’ll love everything that comes with the new 2021 Acura TLX interior. No matter if you’re new or familiar with this impressive luxury sedan lineup, the TLX interior delivers accessible standard features along with plenty of…