What Color is Transmission Fluid?
If you’re interested in learning more about DIY car care, you may be wondering, “What color is transmission fluid?” Your vehicle’s transmission fluid is conveniently dyed for identification purposes, and has a translucent, dark red color when it’s brand-new. Learn more about what color the transmission fluid is with Weir Canyon Acura, so you can stay on top of your vehicle care. Contact our Costa Mesa-area service center if you have any questions along the way.
Transmission Fluid Color Meaning
Over time, the vehicle’s transmission fluid color will darken as a result of age and vehicle use, however, the color change can be a result of contaminants getting past the malfunctions transmission filter. By being able to identify the color of the vehicle’s transmission fluid, Tustin drivers can tell whether it’s time for routine service, or more serious repairs. Here’s what the color of transmission fluid means:
- Brand-new fluid: Dark red
- Normal: Darker brick red
- Schedule service for the vehicle soon: Deep blood red/rust red
- Immediately schedule service: Burnt/almost black
Follow our guide for how to check transmission fluid.
What if There’s Red Fluid Leaking from the Car?
When Montclair drivers notice red fluid leaking from the car, it’s like caused by a transmission fluid leak. While it does cause a mess, the red color actually makes it easier to identify the problem. Outside of the red fluid leaking from the car, there are other ways to identify transmission problems:
- Odor: Typically, transmission fluid has a smell similar to petroleum, but when it needs to be changed, it can smell burnt.
- Consistency: When touching transmission fluid, it will have an oily look and feel to it, similar to engine oil or brake fluid.
- Location of the Leak: Where it’s leaking is a big indicator as transmission fluid usually leaks in front of the car from the middle.
Preventing Transmission Problems
While knowing the color of transmission fluid is important to identifying problems, here are some tips that can help prevent transmission problems from occurring:
- Choose the Right Fluid: It’s important to use genuine OEM parts when replacing the fluid because it helps the more advanced automatic transmission systems in vehicles run smoother and for longer.
- Follow the Owner’s Manual: The manufacturer recommends the type of fluid that’s compatible with the vehicle. Verify with the owner’s manual to see what fluid to use and how often it should be changed.
- Keep Up with Transmission Service: Easily schedule service online and stay on top of routine maintenance to identify the issues before they become expensive repairs. The talented technicians at the local Anaheim service center will know when to replace transmission components or perform a transmission flush.
Discover More Car Care Tips at Weir Canyon Acura!
Now that you have an ideal of what color the transmission fluid is, and how to identify problems in the system, discover more service tips by taking a look at our other car care guides. Whether it’s car wash tips, battery replacements, or oil change frequencies, we’re here to answer all your questions.
More from Weir Canyon Acura
The new 2021 TLX lineup offers plenty of exceptional packages to enhance your Costa Mesa travels at a price that fits perfectly with your budget. But you can enjoy even more distinct capabilities in the 2021 Acura TLX Type S. Featuring some of the same specs as the brand’s renowned Acura NSX supercar, along with…
The available 2022 Acura MDX packages offer many ways for you to enjoy a luxury drive through Costa Mesa. You can experience the best this lineup can offer with the upcoming new Acura MDX Type S package. With improved performance capabilities as well as its own distinct interior and exterior features, this is one Acura…
If you’re shopping the Costa Mesa-area for a sleek sedan that can add new capabilities to your daily drive, then you’ll love everything that comes with the new 2021 Acura TLX interior. No matter if you’re new or familiar with this impressive luxury sedan lineup, the TLX interior delivers accessible standard features along with plenty of…